More: Irreverence to irrelevance

From: Frank McConnell <fmc_at_reanimators.org>
Date: Wed Mar 18 14:17:21 1998

David Wollmann <dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com> wrote:
> Why not steer those who can do nntp to alt.folklore.computers? a.f.c
> carries discussions on all aspects of computer history, including many of
> the topics discussed here.

Seconded. I can think of a few recent threads that might make more
sense in a.f.c (or maybe even comp.arch) than here. Oh all right,
I'll be openly opinionated: host names, AI, rational numbers, and
digital vs. analog computing. My opinions only, if you want to flame
me for 'em do it privately.

Lest y'all think I'm suggesting exiling some threads to the
Usenet/alt-net ghetto: I read a.f.c too, and sometimes browse
comp.arch, and would be more inclined to participate in those threads
in a.f.c because I do find them interesting or amusing, I'm just not
sure they're appropriate for this list.

The MIME/HTML vs. plain text e-mail thread is meta-discussion, and its
existence makes me wonder whether the FAQ should include a Q&A on list
e-mail etiquette, or more properly things to do to get your message
read by more people (post as plain text, trim quoted text, format for
display on an 80-column terminal screen).

For that matter, should the FAQ include references to a.f.c and other
Usenet resources?

> Before flaming folk for ignoring the FAQ, make it readily available. Stick
> the FAQ URL at the bottom of every re-mailed message to act as a constant
> reminder.

How about a periodic repost of the FAQ, or parts thereof? Some folks
can do e-mail but can't webulate.

And having said all these things about the FAQ, I'm willing to do some
work on it, like writing updated entries and/or making regular
reposts happen.

-Frank McConnell