Apology, Info, Etc...

From: Sam Ismail <dastar_at_wco.com>
Date: Wed Mar 18 16:55:22 1998

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Bill Whitson wrote:

> I encourage you to organize as you desire, by whatever
> means you can agree on if you haven't already done so.
<...>
> Please don't count on me for anything at this point. I
> think classiccmp is great and I'm glad to have done the
> initial arrangements, but I don't even know when I'll
> have the time to just read it again.
>
> If current arrangements are unworkable and someone else
> would like to take over with their own listserv, it would
> be simple to just transfer the subscription list, I think.
> If you can live with the current level of administration,
> I have no problem continuing to host the listserv.

Ok fine. Until I'm able to take over ClassicCmp completely, we can put a
few issues to a vote. I thought we already decided a couple months back
that the definition as it stands in the FAQ of what is acceptable to
discuss was appropriate. If there is going to be a need to re-visit this
issue every 6 weeks then you may as well call this mailing
list alt.off-topic.

Here are the issues I propose:

1. The current definition of what is acceptable to discuss in ClassicCmp
is fine: YES or NO

For reference:

1.1 What is ClassicCmp?

It's a mailing list for the discussion of classic computers. Topics center
on collection, restoration, and operation. It is also an appropriate place
for stories and reminiscences of classic computers. Lofty discussions
dealing with the philosophical and/or metaphysical aspects of computers are
often better handled in private e-mail.

Well, I guess that sums it up. If we can agree to a referendum on this
single issue then we can put it to a vote and see what happens. If a
clear majority votes NO then we can vote on a new definition of the FAQ.

My vote is to avoid this whole mess by having people respect the
guidelines of the existing definition.

Sam Alternate e-mail: dastar_at_siconic.com
Computer Historian, Programmer, Musician, Philosopher, Athlete, Writer, Jackass

                   Coming Soon...Vintage Computer Festival 2.0
                   See http://www.siconic.com/vcf for details!