Finding machines (was: Question for the Faq)

From: Uncle Roger <sinasohn_at_ricochet.net>
Date: Thu Mar 19 23:58:44 1998

>perhaps the original requestor was thinking more in terms of
>geographical areas...? sure, thrift stores, but which are your personal
>favourites? etc.

That would be telling. ;)

But seriously, specific locations don't do much good unless you know what
general area you're dealing with. (I can offer some advice for San
Francisco, but I rarely leave the City, and when I do, I'm generally more
interested in finding a) miniature land rovers, b) donald duck stuff, c)
good food, d) good beer (not necessarily in that order.))

For San Francisco, though, the places I go are:

HMR - interesting stuff, fascinating place, but know what stuff is worth.

Thriftcenter (in Belmont?) - on El Camino, just south of Morrison's, the
teacher store (Holly exit? off 101?) (This is the place I go when rachel
says "I need more sentence strips; I'll only be 10 minutes." I know I've
got an hour, and she's spend more than I will.)

Nifty-Thrifty - Across from the cow palace. Lots of refurbed PC's, older
PC cases, occassionally some good stuff. (Passed up a bunch of Osborne 1's

All the surplus places in the Valley -- Weird Stuff, Haltek, Halted,
Action, etc.

That's about it, except the little thrift shop by my house that never has
anything.

Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger_at_sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/