Gooey rubber bits

From: Andrew Davie <>
Date: Mon Mar 1 07:43:58 1999

My understanding is that in the case of HP card readers, there is a small
silicone roller/wheel, which oxidises. Can anyone confirm oxidised silicone
is "gooey" :) ? In any case, the roller can be replaced by a piece of
appropriateley sized nylon tubing cut to size. I just so happen to have
about 1m length of this tubing, which I will happily share out pieces of to
those in need, for the cost of postage.

visit the Museum of Soviet Calculators at
a Yahoo!, Netscape, Wall Street Journal, Newsweek and New Scientist Cool
> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> []On Behalf Of Joe
> Sent: Monday, March 01, 1999 8:09 PM
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
> Subject: Re: Gooey rubber bits
> At 08:13 PM 3/1/99 +1100, you wrote:
> >Marvin wrote with respect to a HP85:
> >
> >>print each iteration of the program.  The tape drive roller is gooey
> >>although it is still round at this point :).
> >
> >I've often see rubber items on old printers and stuff go "gooey"
> like this.
> >Does anyone understand why this happens and whether it is reversible?
> >Sometimes in 2 different examples of the same machine, one has
> the problem
> >and the other hasn't.
>   Hans,
>   I don't know what causes the "rubber" to turn gooy but I know
> it's common
> for the drive wheels in ALL of the HP tapes and mag card drives to turn
> gooy with age. I took a HP 7912 tape drive apart last week and
> the "rubber"
> had liquified and actually dripped into the other parts of the tape drive
> sort of like paint.  The HP-85 belts are made of a different
> material, they
> don't turn gooy but just fall apart with age.
>   My $.02 worth,
>   Joe
Received on Mon Mar 01 1999 - 07:43:58 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:32:18 BST