Museums

From: Scott Walde <scott_at_saskatoon.com>
Date: Tue Mar 23 12:32:03 1999

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, George Rachor wrote:

>Actually sharing the Vision --
>
>I think our vision of such a place may be something like a Cybercafe with
>a dedicated place for old computer equipment to be renovated and
>experimented with. Obviously there would be a place for visiting
>computers systems as well as space for "The Collection".

Wow! That's almost identical to my vision, except I also thought about
doing internet serving/consulting out of the cybercafe. (You gotta have a
good internet connection anyway, so why not host webpages, do design,
etc.) If you have the skill, you might also want to do 'antique' computer
repairs as well. (Just think, if people want to pay $15k for an altair,
what will they pay to have it fixed when it breaks? No flames please,
just trying to profit from the speculators.) You might want to have a
workbench area equipped with some basic test equipment for other
collectors to work on their machines. (I, for example, don't have any
good work area right now. Hopefully in my next move :-)

>If such an idea becomes a chain of such things so much the better. You
>could end up with exchanges amonst collections similarly to the was Other
>museums trade exibits.

Would you imagine this as a franchised chain? or just a loosely knit
network of similar businesses?

>I propose the Cybercafe part to raise enough revenue to pay for the space
>but I down't really know if you could generate enough to keep out of the
>red.

My thoughts are, you have to make enough money just selling coffee and
sandwiches to make the cyber part work. I'm not convinced there's any
real money in the cyber part. (But in internet consulting there is.)

ttyl
srw