Announcing the San Gabriel Valley Classic Computer Enthusiasts Group!

From: Aaron Christopher Finney <af-list_at_wfi-inc.com>
Date: Thu Mar 2 12:00:15 2000

Thanks, Mike. I'd really appreciate any kind of contributions at all, send
'em my way!

Depending on interest, it'd be great to be able set up a meeting to
trade/brag/eat...though I think that's already been working just fine
without any help. One thing I'd really like to do is have a space at
CalPoly every month so that people could just bring one or two things to
trade/sell without having to worry about the hassle of getting their own
spot. Any ideas on cost/restriction? I seem to recall that it's open to
anyone, for something like $10-$15 a spot? I wouldn't mind having an
occasional "classic computing barbecue" though; maybe I'd actually get to
use that pool table in the garage.

To tell you the truth, what I'm really hoping to have come out of
"legitimization" is to create a name presence in the area associated with
restoring and collecting old computers; i.e., an entity that's willing to
pick up and find good homes for equipment that's getting thrown away. I
found an XT in a dumpster (I saw the monitor cable hanging out first,
honest) right on Alosta Ave this past weekend, with a dented case and
broken CRT. Ok, it's an XT, granted, but I'd like to have even 1 in 100
people in that situation say, "You know, there was this group of guys at
the CalPoly swapmeet that might want this stuff." My other immediate plan,
in the works right now, is to make up a "Computer Rescue Alert" flyer and
mail it out to all these industrial/engineering places throughout
Irwindale/Industry/etc, offering to haul away and clean up after any
ancient hardware they might be decomissioning.

Last, but not least, I'm going to create an adoption registry for anyone
interested, where a mail list is notified when a system comes into our
posession and needs a home.

Aaron