touch typing

From: Aaron Christopher Finney <af-list_at_wfi-inc.com>
Date: Wed Mar 8 23:02:33 2000

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Dwight Elvey wrote:

> Hi
> I once took a touch typing course. At the end of the
> first 2 weeks I was at 20 words a minute. At the
> end of the semester, I was at 20 words a minute.
> I'm just as fast with two fingers as with all 10.
> I type this message with just two and the right
> thumb.

I did too, and abandoned touch-typing for years. When I finally stuck with
it for more than 12 months, I went from 15 wpm looking at the keyboard to
70wpm without looking. Like anything else, practice, practice, practice. I
touch type for 6-8 hours of my day, with several keymaps (depending on
development environment), so I certainly don't think that 70wpm is
exceptional. On the contrary; if I wasn't so lazy, I'd probably be a lot
faster...

Aaron