SCSI connectivity

From: Jeff Hellige <jhellige_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Mar 10 16:27:34 2001

>Microchannel isn't hard to find, as they are on Ebay all the time. In
>fact I just gave one away, because noone bid on it :-(

        I've got one of the Future Domain MCS-700 MCA boards OEM'd
for IBM. The only thing I dislike about it is that it doesn't have
the power connector of the non-OEM version. That sure would come in
handy for replacing the oddball IBM hard disk in the P70.

>EISA won't go into an ISA system, either. I don't think any wide scsi
>ISA cards exist. Ebay, again, is the best source for an EISA scsi card.

        ISA will go into EISA though just fine. I could be wrong,
but i don't recall seeing anything above SCSI-2 for an ISA board. I
think I may even have an old Trantor 8bit ISA SCSI board around here
somewhere.

        All this got me thinking about the various MCA boards I had
here again. It's been a while since I looked at thier size and the
MCS-700 and Etherlink III are both short enough to be used in the
upper slot, even with the 486 upgrade installed. Too bad in order to
take the RAM above the planars 8meg I'd have to either put the 386
back in or use the 16bit Kingston KTM-609/16-2 in the lower slot. If
I took the 486 upgrade out I could put the 32bit Kingston KTM-3011-4
in the upper slot. They are both full length cards vice the
half-card length of the Etherlink III and Future Domain. Thankfully,
OS/2 doesn't run too badly on just 8meg.

        Jeff
--
       Collector of Classic Microcomputers and Video Game Systems:
                      Home of the TRS-80 Model 2000 FAQ File