10Base5/Thicknet (was Re: SUN networking problems)

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Mar 22 08:01:04 2001

--- Mike Ford <mikeford_at_socal.rr.com> wrote:
> >Is there currently a source for the tap part for the older, boxy
> transceivers that have removable media bits?

> What I think they are talking about with the tap etc. is that you have the
> thick coax, then you have a thing that taps into the coax, and that "thing"
> typically has a AUI 15 pin connection with a cable to the AUI on your
> computer. Disconnecting the cable is what I think they mean.

Certainly that is one interpretation. I would quote the page if I have it
in front of me. My impression is that the electronics were detachable from
the plastic and metal part that was the actual tap. The boxes I have do
allow separating the media portion from the box portion with two screws. I
will see about pictures when I can next get to the device (Monday, at the
earliest).

Since you do have a collection of older network hardware, I will conclude
that what I initially described, if it did exist in that form, was not
common, or it would have seemed familiar to you.

I'll try a better description when I can point at what I'm trying to
describe.

Thanks,

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.