Club (was Re: pdp 11s to be auctioned at Goddard)

From: Mike Ford <mikeford_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri Mar 23 01:33:51 2001

>This is really exciting. Most of us know of one or more local classic
>computer clubs, but I'm willing to bet this would be the first international
>organization dedicated to the hobby/lifestyle.
>
>With some success, many of the local organizations might eventually want
>become part of our larger group as chapters.
>
>The inevitable question: who would be the fearless leader?

I don't think a "leader" as such is possible, each actual bidder, and the
actual owner of the storage area has to be the master of that portion, but
some or "a" coordinator is essential. Perhaps a board that can meet from
time to time to watch the farm, and officers for specific areas?

Things needed.

List server to move this off classic computing, and allow what is likely to
be a moderate amount of non public conversation.
FTP space to quickly allow upload and display of images etc.
Web, of course we need web space. ;)

First person needed.
Email coordinator until a list server is running, and then perhaps to
manage the list.

First thing to know.
Who are all the people, and what sorts of resources can they contribute,
space, a truck, strong back, strong credit line, resale license so we don't
pay sales tax, etc. etc..
What are all these people interested in.

Just do it.
I don't think this is a NASA tupe project where all contingencies have to
be accounted for. Nothing will be a better instructor than to bid on a few
lots and see how it works out.