FastPath (was Re: OT: Apple LWPro parallel port?)

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 30 13:27:32 2001

--- Mike Ford <mikeford_at_socal.rr.com> wrote:
> >--- Mike Ford <mikeford_at_socal.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >I take it you resolved the issue of ROM code, driver software, etc. I still
> >have that Fastpath4 sitting idle, waiting for the chance to put it to use.
> >
> >Any pointers on how to get it up and active?
>
> RTFM ;)

Love to. Need the FM.

> The FastPath is the most powerfull of the boxes that I know of, supporting
> the bridging of a complete localtalk LAN to a ethernet network, with both
> Appletalk and TCP/IP support among other features.

Perfect.

> You have to spend some time with the documentation from the FTP site.
> I haven't done it myself, and it clearly has a bit of a curve to it, so I
> don't recommend it to the casual user. If you want to support some IIgs
> Apples, or use the TCP/IP encapsulation, there are few other options.

I am not a casual user, so I plan to plough ahead. I do have a IIgs now
(I didn't when I first got the FastPath), so I'd probably want to consider
those options.

> For just a printer something like the AsantePrint or DaynaPrint is a better
> option. Farallon stuff is also very nice, but does carry a bit of a premium
> mostly due to the etherwave convience (allows daisychain connection without
> another hub port).

Hmm... $10 (already spent) and some work vs $100 and less work... I'll take
"Bridges for $10", Alex. :-)

> Shiva bought Kinetics, Intel bought Shiva, but many support files still
> exist at
>
> ftp://ftp.shiva.com/distrib/older/

Thank you. I plan to start the siphon this evening.

> Anybody know some good network books that include setting up the
> FastPath or other router type boxes?

Never seen one.

> Much of what seems very hard to me personally I think is just my general
> lack of network specifics. If you have some network admin experience my
> guess is that its a lot more of just fill in the boxes, where for me its
> what the heck is that box.

I have a solid background in TCP/IP and adminstrating network devices, so I'll
be glad to help you answer "what the heck is that box" questions if you have
any.

> A few things I have learned.
> The administrator software is a bit fussy about which OS and network
> software the mac it runs on is using.

Unsurprising, given the state of Mac networking ten years ago.

> Once the FastPath is configured though, its a pure network device

Great to hear.

> ...so no special software is required on any of the machines on
> the network EXCEPT for a mac to run the admin on and make changes.

That's been my barrier so far. The preliminary research I did when I first
got this thing was that my ROM revision (gained by physical inspection) was
unsuitable for use with the tools that were available for download. I don't
recall if the correct version was 5x the cost of the box to me, or not
available
at any price any longer, but I know that commercially, a ROM upgrade was not
viable.

> When I get it sorted out on my own, I do plan to write up what I learn for a
> basic configuration.

Ping me offline if you want to collaborate on this.

-ethan