Suggestions for hauling Computer Garage from Beaverton, OR to Yates Center, KS?

From: Vintage Computer Festival <vcf_at_vintage.org>
Date: Mon Mar 4 13:14:29 2002

We're now in the planning phases for moving Jim Willing's Computer Garage
from Oregon to Kansas. We're currently looking for the best equipment
option for moving.

Jim says he probably needs a 24 foot truck. He's currently looking at
U-Haul, which is always a cheap solution, but he's stuck right now
hassling with them over some issues from a prior moves where the trucks
broke down (U-Haul trucks are deathtraps on wheels).

There are a few other truck rental places we're going to try to get quotes
from (Ryder is asking around $1,500, we haven't checked Budget or Penske
yet), but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?

Jim's original plan was to load the Computer Garage contents into the
truck and then tow his Suburban from the truck. I am suggesting that he
rent or even buy a big trailer and use the Suburban to haul the trailer.
Jim is going to ask some of these places if they will rent trailers one
way (I don't see why not). I think my suggestion to buy a trailer would
be cool if he can't since it may be cheaper than renting a truck, and he
can always use it for other stuff, or sell it when he gets back to Kansas.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *