Stripped Indigo - worth how much?

From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz_at_unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
Date: Wed Mar 13 13:08:02 2002

On 2002.03.13 18:46 Ethan Dicks wrote:

> There's no RAM, no drives, I think no sleds, and several conspicuous
empty
> sockets on the motherboard.
If it is a R4k Indigo you can feed it with PS/2 parity FPM RAM. (It
needs four identical pieces per bank.) A R3k Indigo needs special SGI
SIMMs.
You can connect external drives if there are no sleds.
What you believe to be the motherboard may be the graphics system.
Remember that a "real" SGI machine is a keyboard processor (typical a
MIPS Rxxxx thing) with a graphics system. Depending on the type of
graphics it can be normal that there are empty sockets. (You may end up
with only one graphics processor instead of four, no Z buffer, only VRAM
for 8 bit color or the like.) But even with only one graphics processor
you get a decent graphics performance. Remember that it is a SGI. :-)

> There _are_ two large PCBs inside,
CPU and graphics.

> Is this thing even worth $10?
Yes. The Indigo PSU is error-prone[1], so my advice is get it at least
for the PSU. If you don't get it, you will get a offer for a full loaded
Indigo R4k Elan with dead PSU next week. ;-)

[1] We had six Indigos at the Unix-AG. Five of them have now dead PSUs.
--
tsch??,
         Jochen