List Management - RESPONSE

From: Jim Battle <frustum_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat Mar 16 02:22:11 2002

At 08:30 PM 3/15/02 -0600, Jay West wrote:
>Please read the entire message below from the list admin (who is trying very
>hard not to come out of his skin and choke someone)...

Perhaps Jay doesn't post as frequently as some, but his S/N ratio is to be
admired. I'd say the fact that he isn't an obvious presence looming over
the list is testimony to his success at running the show. Spam is to be
deplored, but there is a much greater number of off-topic posts generated
by individuals of this list than all the spam that has been received. For
taking care of that problem, we are all in control and don't need any
really restrictive policies.

What to do:

         1) Don't post off-topic crap. If you have a subject line that
begins "OT", don't post. Where you draw the line of on-top vs off-topic is
quite open to debate, but there is a large volume of willfully off topic
messages, and these, at least, should get the axe.

         2) Don't respond to off-topic crap on-list. Send it off list.

Here's a great test. If the thought of using the list to respond to an
off-topic posting is appealing but responding to just the individual
originator of the message isn't, then I'd suggest that maybe you have an
ego problem that is being fed by having a semi-captive audience.

Yes, quite obvious points, but apparently not practiced.

Count me as a happy customer, Jay. Thanks.

(and, no, there is no irony here as I consider this subject on-topic)

-----
Jim Battle == frustum_at_pacbell.net