Diags/Boot image for Altos 580

From: Douglas Quebbeman <dhquebbeman_at_theestopinalgroup.com>
Date: Sat Mar 16 15:52:54 2002

> Does anyone have the install disks, and the Diagnostics/utilities
> disk, or disk images? And a way to create the disks on a Linux box?
> They are DD/DS floppies, right?

My former employer ended up giving his to a local
guy who fixes radios, PCs, controllers, hell anything
(he and I did an embedded systems project once); I just
got off the phone, he remebers the system, knows its
"there somewhere", as I also recall seeing it there
as well as the disks in a dark maroon Dysan disk box.

He's a bit busy at the moment, but promised to start
a search for the disks when he can.

> Does this thing care what MFM disk it has?

The CMI hard drive was a total POS. I've got one
from a Zenith Z-150 that works until these *huge*
power resistors on the interface board heat up
too hot, then it stops working. I'm not sure
whether they're part of the drive motor circuitry
or the head motor assembly, but ISTR suspecting
the latter.

The drive is available free, for cost of shipping...
if you're even vaguely interested in a failing
hard drive. However, you might be able to combine
parts from them long enough to use one while you
transition to a more reliable old drive (assuming
of course Chris finds the software).

-dq