ICL OPD/Merlin Tonto

From: Witchy <witchy_at_binarydinosaurs.co.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 11 21:49:52 2003

Identical machines, period :) The only differences were the stick-on badges
and serial number stickers on the bottom.

> were a derivative of the Sinclair QL, featuring the addition of a
> telephone
> handset, better keyboard, slightly improved microdrives (sufficiently
> improved that they are, apparently, incompatible with QL mdvs; something
> I've not checked yet), and a much bigger ROM. That ROM contains a

Everything was re-engineered by ICL, so the only thing the OPD shares with
the QL is the 3 QL ROMs and the CPU. Everything else is different. ICL also
re-engineered the microdrives to make them more rugged and reliable; whether
they were successful at this or not remains a moot point I think. They're
definitely incompatible. The only way of doing data transfer from machine to
machine is serially, and remember the serial port on the OPD is for a
printer only so is uni-directional.

> telephone
> directory, and a few other utilities to boot. Add-on ROMs included
> messaging (I'm unsure as to what that is yet, although mine has
> it), Psion
> Xchange (Quill word processor, Easel graphics - well, graphs, Archive
> database and Abacus spreadsheet). Xchange also featured on the
> CST Thor[1],
> and was also ported to the PC, IIRC. The QL suffered along with the
> original separate packages until its demise.

Also the machine had the same pre-emptive fully cooperating multi tasking
kernel, so all the apps could run together and share things.

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/icl/opd.htm

and

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/icl/tonto.htm

> entirely sure what they did to it to make it that slow; the QL seems to
> trot along much more quickly. Maybe ICL just didn't write decent
> software...

I don't recall either of mine being any slower than the QL, though it's a
few months since I last played with one. I just wish I had some
documentation for 'em.

cheers

--
adrian/witchy