Old Sony Z80 comp...

From: Greg Troutman <mor_at_crl.com>
Date: Fri Mar 13 08:19:12 1998

Adam Fritzler wrote:

> I know there has already been a discussion on the Sony SMC-70, but it seems
> to have terminated after being sidetracked into a discussion of floppy
> connectors.
>
> I've stumbled upon quite a large collection of Sony modules for these
> things. This is currently what I have sitting in front of me:
>
> SMC-70G Micro Computer
> ??????? Genlocker
> SMI-7012A Dual Floppy Unit
> SMI-7074 NTSC Superimposer
> SMI-7050 Cache Disk Unit -- What is this?
> SMI-7075 Videotizer

I have two of the SMI-7050 disk cache units, plus a SMI-7031 RS232
Interface unit. Seems you got all the interesting modules ;) Also,
I've got a still sealed in plastic dual floppy drive unit. Maybe the
ones installed in the unit are bad? Someone has put a sticker on the
system that says, "Ship back to Sony."

> Now, is there anywhere that I can get an OS and the software to use all that
> equipment with? Can someone 'lend' me images of thier floppies? (If anyone
> has them!)
>
> The main computer module is fuctional -- I can boot it to the point where I
> get a console monitor and get type 'b' and get into 'Sony BASIC'. I don't
> currently have enough RGB NTSC video equipment to test the rest out.

Mine seems functional too, as I get typical bootstrap activities, but I
don't have a video cable to see what's really going on. Can anyone tell
me the pinout so I can make one? And of course, if I get video, I'll
too need help with software... I've found very little mention of this
machine via search engines.

--
mor_at_crl.com
http://www.crl.com/~mor/