Old IBMs

From: David Wollmann <dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com>
Date: Tue Mar 17 10:51:13 1998

At 05:42 AM 3/17/98 -0800, you wrote:
>[IBM S/36]
>Runs for years - but mine takes in the area of 20 minutes to ask me for an
IPL
>password! It's a 5363, a nice, PC-sized S/36, but it's NOT that PC-36
thing...

If your IPL is taking that long, you ought to see if you can find a copy of
"S/36 POWER TOOLS" floating around (it's available from Duke Press for
$80). You're probably doing some IPL key sorts or other ops that might not
be necessary, especially if you inherited the machine from a business user.
POWER TOOLS includes a bunch of cool utils and "tips and tricks" stuff that
should help you get a faster IPL.

I usually only run mine for a week or so at a time, but it's never crashed,
even when I unplug periphs or accidentally cut off power to a peripheral. I
wish I had the opportunity to run one in a multi-user environment, I think
it would be beautiful to watch.

>I've seen manuals, and it looks fairly ugly. (It's a PC/AT size case,
>with a strange bus extender thingie (I think) that plugs into a PC/AT for
>console/print/disk/whatever services).

I've got two of them--want 'em? They aren't bad if you're interested in
learning the OS, etc. but intolerably slow.

--
David Wollmann			|
dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com		| Support for legacy IBM products.