ZX-81 Question

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Tue Mar 26 05:55:17 2002

> > > I still think tha'ts the most fun, haggling with tight resources).
> > Also true for me. It's still a thrill to go over a machine code or
> > assembly language program and be able to trim out 20 bytes!
> While the ZX-81 was not my favorite machine it has advantage of users
> understanding hardware and software more so than today. I still think
> computer designers need to program in assembly every so often. The
> BloatMaster 3000 super chip is not what people need but rather what
> marketing is trying to brainwash you with.

In fact, when we talk about the ZX 81, Almost everything is just software.
It took me some time to figure out the 'Display File' (that is what other
computer would call a screen buffer). This construction reminded me of
1970 style 'inteligent' terminals where screen buffer was more like a
code of some sort to be executed by the diplay processor which was a
micro code engine itself.

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 3.0 am 27./28. April 2002 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/