fair price for apple articles

From: chris <cb_at_mythtech.net>
Date: Wed Mar 5 14:42:00 2003

>Apple //gs - $20 each

Wanna buy some from me?!? At that price I'll be happy to sell you a few.

>Apple //c new in box - $50

If it is really new in box, then yeah, I could agree with that price. But
I have seen MANY things claimed as "new in box" that are really "we used
it for 12 years, and before throwing it out realized we still had the old
box so we repacked it". I have seen very few really new in box items, so
I am sceptical to those claims.

>Mac Plus - $5
>Monitors - $5 each
>Misc. drives - $10
>"scads of software and manuals" - I'm assuming "scads" is worth about $25

I consider all of the above to be "Thanks" prices. ie: they really aren't
worth anything, but you feel compelled to give the person something for
being nice enough to save you the effort of digging thru the trash to get
it.

In my opinion, Thanks prices don't really add up. Kind of like coupon
actual value prices. Its worth $1.00 during the transaction, but if you
add the value up, you find it is worth half a cent. So 10 monitors _at_ $5
each would not equal $50, but rather maybe $10 if you were feeling good.

>Including a "new in the box" //c and "scads" of software? That's what I
>would value most in the lot mentioned.

Got about 3 moving boxes full of assorted software just a few months ago.
All that was headed to the dumpster (I intercepted it on the way). About
half Mac, half PC. I also got 2 paper case boxes of IIgs software not
much before that, probably 20 or so titles, most in their boxes. All free.

>> are large (20" monitors, and 10+ gig drives). The software and manuals,
>
>We're talking Apple ]['s here. 20" monitors and 10+ gig hard drives do
>not even come into the equation.

I went under the assumption that it could refer to Mac monitors and hard
drives since there are Macs included in the list. Actually, now that I
think of it, if we are talking about Apple II hard drives (regardless of
size), then those are worth something as they are much tougher to find.

>That's where you are completely wrong and why you don't understand my
>pricing. The software, as long as most of it is in original boxes with
>original disks, is the real prize. Your opinion may vary on this of
>course, but the fact is that original software in the box is harder to
>find than the machines themselves. And without the software and manuals,
>the computer is just a pretty object.

Yes, we differ here. You fit into the exclusion that I mentioned. That
is, you care about having real copies of software. So to YOU the software
might be worth something. There are lots of people like me that could
care less about original copies, vs getting an "abondonware" copy off an
FTP site or so. To people like me, software is of no real $$ value.

What's interesting here is I see your point with your pricing. You
consider some items to be of value, that I don't. And vice versa (I find
some value in a Woz IIgs). So it just goes to show, when pricing things,
you can't rely on one source for info, and you should shop around to
figure out the best place to market stuff. Maybe this is why eBay prices
are always so high... with the wide audience, they increase the odds of
hitting someone that lays value on the item.

And I'm still amazed that you would give a decent price. I had thought of
you as a person that will always claim things are worth far less than
they are just to keep prices down. I miss judged you... it must just
really be a pure hatred of eBay instead. :-)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>