anybody know of GOOD serach engine?

From: Vintage Computer Festival <vcf_at_siconic.com>
Date: Mon Mar 29 12:22:58 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Joe R. wrote:

> Have you used them lately??? This morning I tried to search for a
> driver for the ethernet card that is built into my Dell GX110 computer. I
> searched for "dell gx110 ethernet driver download" instead all I get are
> ads such as "Buy pcmcia to pci WindWire Wireless". Do you see anything in
> the search string about "buy" or "pci" or "pcmcia" or "wireless"? That
> wasn't the only result like that, they were ALL ads for soemthing totally
> unrelated to what I wanted. I went through 6 or seven pages or results and
> didn't find anything close to what I was looking for.

Joe, this is not Google (well, not directly). This is idiot companies
who've learned how to game Google to get their site returned as the top
result. There's a whole science behind it.

Google needs to do something to prevent this sort of thing, but it's not
them selling positioning. They sell ads but those are the results that
show up highlighted (and explicitly state they are paid links) and the
links on the right side.

I have the same problem as you whenever searching for ANYTHING having to
do with laptops. There are a million companies out there all trying to
hawk the same product, all competing with each other. Quite annoying, and
as a result I can hardly ever find anything useful when I'm searching for
information about laptops.