Netscape Mail, was Re: HTML in EMAIL

From: Fred Cisin <cisin_at_xenosoft.com>
Date: Thu Mar 14 12:57:49 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Allison wrote:
> lessee,
> I use OutlookExpress at times, with the right settings it's pretty solid
> and can be made virus proof! Hint, disable VBSscripting! Why anyone
> would link a programming language to email is beyond me. Disabling
> COMx and ActiveX controls is easy enough. There is no excuse for
> HTML unless someone set a system profile removing those controls
> from reach, in that case us you own system not the companies.
> Propagating bugs like Loveletter is an example of user ignorance.

User education could be improved.
I talked to somebody who thought that she would be safe because she always
checked everything in the "preview pane" to see if it would be OK
(thinking that it was like a peephole in a front door?)

"Social engineering" is still a primary problem. Twice I have received
e-mail that purported to be from Microsoft with a 170K attachment
(Q216309.EXE). It said to run that to patch security holes. yeah,
right. MICROS~1 does NOT mail unsolicited security patches.

Is there any reason why I should switch away from PINE on a TELNET
session?

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred        cisin_at_xenosoft.com